TamilsKitchen

March 14, 2013

Coconut Chutney / Thengai Chutney

    This Coconut chutney is a basic chutney recipe that I make quite often . This is so great with hot idlis and dosas. My family’s favourite chutney . This is a very traditional basic South Indian side dish that is usually made everyday for tiffins. This is perfect not only with idli –dosas but also with poori , pongal , chapattis and with rice too. Before marriage I ask my mom to do chutney with red chillies but my hubby likes chutneys with only green chillies. My taste too differed, I am always sticking to green chillies now-a-days . I like sesame oil for tempering as the flavour is so good but you can use any oil you wish . I know this chutney is quite a usual preparation at most  of the houses but  I am posting this simple recipe for beginners and some of my North Indian friends who keep on asking me for the recipe. Now off to the chutney preparation…

     

    Coconut Chutney

     

     

     

    Ingredients

     

    Coconut – 1/2 cup grated or 2 slices

    Roasted gram / Pottukadalai – 1 tbsp

    Green chillies – 2

    Kurry Leaves  / Karuvepilai -  Few

    Salt as needed

     

    For Tempering

     

    Oil – 1 tsp ( preferably sesame oil)

    Mustard seeds / Kadugu – 1/2 tsp

    Uraddal / Ulunthamparuppu – 1/2 tsp

    Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch

    Kurry leaves – 1 spring

     

    Preparation

     

    Set your ingredients ready.

     

     

    Add the grated coconut , roasted gram , green chillies and salt  to the mixer and grind using enough water to a coarse paste.Make the consistency thick or thin as per your wish.(I made it thick as my hubby don’t like diluted one)

     

     

    Check the salt and add few curry curry leaves and grind for a second ( just give a single turn) .

     

     

    Transfer the chutney  to a bowl.

     

     

    Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard and urad dal. Add asafoetida and curry leaves and add this tadka to the chutney mixture.

     

    100_3889

     

    Give a good mix and enjoy with idlis / dosas / pongal/rotis / pooris.

     

                                               Enjoy this Perfect side with your Breakfast

     

    Notes :

  • While tempering you can add red chillies for extra spiciness.

  • You can add a small  piece of ginger / garlic to make a flavourful version.

  • Instead of curry leaves , corriander leaves can be used while grinding. I love the curry leaves flavour so I stick to that.

  • You can even replace green chillies with red chillies for a colourful chutney . But up to me this version best suits as a side to rasam rice / mixed rice.

Linking To:

 

Foodabulous Fest Event organised by SimplyTadka

Celebrating Womens Day Event by Seduce Your Tastebuds along With Cuponation.

 

22 comments:

meena said...

lovely clicks.i used to prepare quite often,goes well with rotis too..

Unknown said...

one of my fav chutney dear .. looks yumm :)

Priya Suresh said...

can have two more dosas with this chutney, my fav..

divyagcp said...

All time favorite chutney

Malar Gandhi said...

Like this chutney with dosas...makes one hungry, here:)

I have moved my blog to a new domain: www.kitchentantantras.com

So, until everyone are going to get used to this new site, I am going to spam the comments section...pardon me:)
http://kitchentantras.com/masala-pori-just-killing-time/

http://kitchentantras.com/thalapakattu-biriyani/

http://kitchentantras.com/my-favorite-song-a-tribute-to-food-lovers/

http://kitchentantras.com/dinner-and-a-movie-famous-food-movies-list/

Unknown said...

Simply everyone's favorite :) I want dosa too :)

Suja Manoj said...

Perfect with idli,yum

Divya A said...

Nice chutney one of my favorite with soft idlis or dosas... :)

Menaga Sathia said...

Can have extra idlies with this yumm chutney!!

Unknown said...

very easy and saves lot of time :)

Beena said...

Yummy chutney

Rumana Rawat said...

Hubby's my hubby's fav chutney.. He never haves idli or dosa without coconut chutney..

divya said...

Looks superb and very inviting too

Unknown said...

Tamil, love this one.

Shama Nagarajan said...

Interesting and yummy .

Ongoing event:
Celebrate - Easter
in my blog.

Shobha said...

I make it the same way too.. perfect with all the South Indian snacks.

Julie said...

yummy side dish,great with dosa!!
Participate & win e gift vouchers (worth Rs 1000& Rs 500)in Flavors Of Cuisines-"Chinese"

preeti garg said...

Awesome recipe thanks for linking with my event.
for giveaway check mandatory rules on post

Love2cook Malaysia said...

My fav chutney too!! :)

Amelia said...

Hi Tamilarasi, I sure love this chutney with dosa. Yours sure look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Have a nice weekend.

Morris said...

Coconut is the heart of south Indian food.I like Authentic coconut chutney very much. Its very nice to see its recipe. Thanks too share it.
I like to share a south Indian Restaurant for the real south Indian dishes and recipes. For details you can visit South Indian Restaurant for the real south Indian dishes and recipes. For details you can visit http://www.vaango.in/

Nilu A said...

Thanks so much for the recipe... Definitely worth trying :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...